Dvorak response to Carlisle

Dvorak response to Carlisle
**Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016
Dear Editor:

_**Normally the Mountain Mail does not allow candidates for office to personally respond to opinion letters. However, the recent Billy Carlisle letter about me was so far from the truth that the editors have made an exception to their rule. **_

In January of 2007 I was hunting with a friend I had hunted with for over 20 years. He and I had hunted that area (56) together in several previous years. _I was unaware that for 2007 he had drawn a different hunting area (481) farther to the north. _

The facts of the hunt are:
1. I had an elk license for unit 56, the area I was hunting in.
2. I saw elk on the private property of my neighbor in unit 56 where I had previously hunted.
3. I went after the elk without getting specific permission from my neighbor as I had in prior years.
4. I dropped my elk with one shot.
5. My hunting partner, Jerry Mallett, had a license for unit 481.
6. Jerry wounded his elk and took off after it into the national forest. This is when I learned he had a tag for the area north of us.
7. The landowner hearing the shots and not knowing who it was called the game warden.
8. When the game warden arrived, he saw me dressing my elk and asked me who the other hunter was. My mistake was not telling him.
9. I was not charged with trespass nor with any hunting violation. I was charged with “complicity” for not telling the warden Jerry’s name.
10. I was allowed to keep my elk. I accepted that I was complicit in Jerry’s misdeed, apologized to the court, and paid my fine.
11. I have the utmost respect for the Division of Parks and Wildlife, their mission, and the rules that guide outdoor sportsmen. I know I made a mistake covering up for my friend and I took responsibility for being at fault for not being completely honest with the game warden. I learned much from this incident 10 years ago and I apologize again to any my mistake offends.

As an avid outdoors-man and sportsman, I am committed to protecting habitat and wildlife. It is why I worked for two decades to protect Browns Canyon. It is why I’ve owned my rafting business introducing new people to the outdoors every year for the past 32 years. It is why I have spent the last 10 years working for the National Wildlife Federation (NWF).

I’ve dedicated my entire career working to protect our natural resources and public lands for future generations and I will continue to do so with the same commitment as a County Commissioner. I humbly ask that you assess my qualifications based on my entire history and not one much regretted incident.

Sincerely,

_**Bill Dvorak **_

Comments

• Hey Bill,

Your letter to the editor is as full of lies and mis-truths as your statements to Ron Dobson in the DOW report. Apparently your memory isn't any better than Mr. Mallet's.

In all the years I have known you, I can tell you that in MY opinion you've never done anything that didn't directly benefit you or your business.

I'm sure you regret the incident, I regret that it didn't go to trial, as you would have been charged with a few more things than the illegal taking of elk, and conspiracy, NOT complicity. Yes Bill, you CONSPIRED with Mr. Mallet to cover your illegal actions.

Mrs Bertschy told you the year before when you asked that you didn't have permission, her statement to Officer Dobson said that "It had better NOT be you" as you asked her and she denied you permission .

Per Officer Dobson's report, that he tape recorded, you lied, repeatedly and at length from the moment Dobson contacted you until you parted ways, and you were NOT dressing your elk when he found you. More lies.

Keep em coming Bill, I'll debunk every one of them.

For your edification, I have attached the DOW report, the official record of what happened, and as Gomer Pyle would say, Surprise, Surprise, Surprise, it doesn't come close to matching YOUR account you posted both in the Mountain Mail, and now here.

I wonder who we should believe? The word of you, convicted of a crime, or respected DOW officer Ron Dobson. I also understand that while Ron was off feeding animals trapped without food in a snowstorm, that You and Mallet went all the way to the Governors office trying to get him fired.

That's the fine upstanding individual you are Bill, that's how you show your "Utmost respect for the Division of Wildlife and the rules", by breaking as many as you could in as short a time as possible, and then lying to cover up your illegal actions.

Committed to protecting wildlife and habitat? By shooting into a heard repeatedly ?

Vote for Greg Felt.